Friday, August 8, 2008

de ja film?

Was in a rather melancholic mood one evening earlier this week. I think it was partially brought about by a ridiculous Hindi movie that I decided to go watch based on a funny preview I had seen on TV…of course while the teaser had been about 2 minutes of humor, the movie was two and a half hours of ‘predictable, ludicrous, ridiculous, only occasionally funny, randomly break into song and dance’ Bollywood.

At least the eye candy ensured I did not slit my wrists. Drool…sigh. But there is just so much a cynical-occasionally-losing-faith-in-love girl can take of the rose coloured glasses view of the mushy wushy idealistically sweet love portrayed in the movie.

I think the trailers at the beginning of the movie also set the mood, well one trailer in particular anyway. God in a white suit looking all majestic and well…godly, and an everyday guy being given the chance to be God for a week or so. Hmmm..I feel a strange sense of dejavu…like I’ve seen this movie already. Hang on a sec…I have!

Just when you thought Bollywood had ceased ‘stealing inspiration’ from Hollywood along comes…a Hindi rip-off of Bruce Almighty. There are certain scripts that they could have copied and may have been able to get away with but (directly) copying something as obvious as Bruce Almighty…wtf??!!

I don’t understand why Bollywood directors resort to such tactics when original Hindi movies have been made and succeeded. It’s not like there is a shortage of storylines…its India for goodness sake! The logic, or the lack thereof, totally annoys me.

Sigh.

Oh and Morgan Freeman’s ‘God’ character is being played by none other than…Amitabh Bachan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

who else would they have gotten to play god?

has to be AB.

shiva said...

"Just when you thought Bollywood had ceased ‘stealing inspiration’ from Hollywood along comes…"

What made you think they ever stopped?

"the movie was two and a half hours of ‘predictable, ludicrous, ridiculous, only occasionally funny, randomly break into song and dance’ Bollywood."

Ok now thats 99.9% of bollywood movies :)