Friday, January 7, 2011

Fight the fondling

I've seen this sign around town a few times, no not the 'ladies toilet' one... the little warning next to it which basically reads: 'beware of gropers'. Yes, gropers (or chikan as they are known here).

As safe as Japan is, this is one of those disturbing stories you hear of.
Its especially common in packed trains during the morning commute when some men try to cop a feel. I've heard stories from friends of friends, mainly Japanese women who have fallen victim to these a-holes on the train.

The worst part is that most Japanese women silently suffer through it, I assume thats why you don't usually hear of foreign women being groped, we'd turn around and kick balls while screaming commuters ears off. Although, because the train is packed in so tight, its usually hard to identify who the groper was, and that's how they get away with it.
A friend of mine, naturally disgusted by the story mentioned how perverted and sick one would have to be to consider sexually harassing people at 7 in the morning on the bleary-eyed, sleep deprived commute to work. Seriously. The only thing I can think of in the morning is either how I should be asleep or on a coffee drip (not to be confused with drip coffee).
So there you go, that's the 'beware of gropers' pic of the (yester)day.

And while on that issue, I have realised that although I am able to take a pic daily, it was a tad ambitious of me to think that I could upload/blog about it on a daily basis too.

So here's the new plan, I take a pic daily, but put it up when I can.

kthanksbye.

No comments: